Q: What training is required by Department of Transportation (DOT) for the handling of hazardous materials?
The DOT requires that you receive training if you:
- Load, unload or handle hazardous materials.
- Test, recondition, repair, modify, mark or label containers, drums or packaging as qualified for use in hazardous materials transportation.
- Prepare hazardous materials for transportation.
- Are responsible for transporting hazardous materials, or supervise those who do.
- Operate a vehicle used for transporting hazardous materials.
- The DOT requires that you receive training in:
- Hazard communication – regarding hazards of the materials; how to read and understand a Material Safety Data Sheet.
- Security awareness.
- Placarding and Labeling.
- Use of the DOT HAZMAT Tables.
- Shipping documentation and packaging.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Safe work procedures.
- Emergency procedures.
- Call us to book DOT training at your site, or sign up for online DOT training at Hazmatschool.com